Indications for MEG scan
When you need your company to have a new website or if you venture on updating your old webpage with a new look and functionality, the choices are versatile. Assuming that you will go the easy way and choose a theme for your WordPress website, the overall number of characteristics that you will need to keep in mind narrows down significantly.
- Epilepsy: Epilepsy is a common chronic neurological disorder that is characterized by recurrent unprovoked seizures. These seizures occur due to abnormal neuronal activity in the brain. Epilepsy is usually controlled, but not cured, with medication. Surgery is often the best option in difficult cases
- In chronic epilepsy patients uncontrolled on medications.
- In complementary to other pre-surgical evaluation investigations (EEG, video telemetry, MRI brain-refractory epilepsy protocol, Neuro psychological assessment and other (PET-CT, SPECT).
- In case of difficulty in diagnosis (lateralization and localization in the brain) and if there is discordance between other investigations.
- Functional mapping: for localizing the brain areas accurately that is responsible for sensory perception, limb movements, hearing and vision.
- Brain tumours: In patients who have brain tumours or other lesions, the MEG may be able to map the exact location of the normally functioning areas near the lesion so that surgery can be planned to minimize postoperative weakness or loss of brain function.
- In patients who have had past brain surgery, the electrical field measured by EEG may be distorted by the changes in the scalp and brain anatomy. If further surgery is needed, MEG may be able to provide necessary information without invasive EEG studies
MEG is also being used to better localize responses in the brain. The openness of the MEG setup allows external auditory and visual stimuli to be easily introduced. Some movement by the subject is also possible so long as it does not jar the subject’s head. The responses in the brain before, during, and after the introduction of such stimuli/movement can then be mapped with greater spatial resolution.