NIMHANS Gymkhana is a facility created for the overall wellbeing of the NIMHANS family viz., Staff, Students and their dependents. The administration of Gymkhana rests with The Director/Vice-Chancellor, NIMHANS as its President and The Registrar, NIMHANS as its Vice-President. The Executive Committee (EC) members are nominated by the Director/VC and have representations from all categories of Staff apart from student representatives as well as representation from the Engineering section and Public Relation Office. All activities are monitored by the Executive Committee headed by the Chairnominated by the Director of the Institute.
Chairperson: Dr. Harish T, Professor,Department of Psychiatry
General Secretary: Shri.Ravindra P N, JSA, IT Cell
Treasurer: Shri. Ramachandra C, Senior Scientific Assistant
Members: Dr.Ravindranadh Chowdary, Shri.Kishore Kumar R, Dr.Surakshitha Poornima, Shri.Chandan Kumar M T, Shri.Lokesh, Dr.B V Kathyayani, Shri. Murugan J, Shri.Santosh K C.
NIMHANS Gymkhana was initiated by late Prof. TaranathSetty, Head of Neurochemistry when the Institute was accorded the status of a Deemed University. Earlier to NIMHANS Gymkhana, there was a Staff Recreation Club. Gymkhana formally came to existenceon 9th Feb, 1995. The first Chairman was late Dr.TaranathSetty with the then Director/Vice Chancellor late Dr. S. M. Channabasavanna as the President and The Registrar Mr. M. B. Dyaberi as its Vice-President.
The Gymkhana is located in the Byrasandra campus of NIMHANS. The foundation stone for the new building was laid on 08/04/1999 by Prof. M. GowriDevi the then Director/Vice Chancellor. The building was inaugurated by Mr. Prakash Padukone on 16th November 2000 in the presence of the President, Gymkhana; Dr.M.Gowri Devi, Director/Vice-chancellor, Vice President Gymkhana; Sri M.B. Dyaberi, KAS, Registrar and Chairman; Prof. T.R. Raju, Head of the department of Neurophysiology. It has a built in Area of 2,535 sq. mtrs. and a plinth area of 10,320 sq. mtrs.
VISION, MISSION & OBJECTIVES
To provide an excellent state of the art place for the NIMHANS staff and family to promote their wellbeing.
- To create, foster and maintain friendly relationship among the staff and students of the NIMHANS as well as with other organisations through the medium of social, cultural, sports and other activities.
- To provide recreational, social, and cultural amenities for the members of the Gymkhana.
- To foster, encourage, sustain and co-ordinate sports, games, artistic talent, cultural, literary and other allied activities.
- To provide an organisational platform and infrastructural facilities for regular practise of athletics, gymnastics, indoor and outdoor games.
- To develop and harness musical, literary and artistic talents of members and to infuse a healthy competitive spirit in these among them.
- To honour meritorious children of members and to provide educational amenities to children of deserving categories of staff.
- To support the initiatives for a clean and safe campus
- To execute all other acts which shall be deemed necessary to assist in and promotion of any or all the afore – mentioned objectives.
WHAT WE DO:
The NIMHANS Gymkhana provides excellent facilities for the promotion of physical health and social wellbeing. It harnesses the talents of the NIMHANS family. It conducts various sports and literary events for the Institute Day Celebrations and celebrates Children’s day. It hosts memorable events such as music concerts, dance and conducts the institute day. It organizes several other social and educational activities such as Go-green initiatives of the institute, tree planting, and summer camps for children etc.Gymkhana organises several activities like Marathon and Trekking etc.
It is a place where members of Gymkhana (staff, students, and family) meet, childrenplayin the well-designed exclusive play area, use the modern gym equipmentfor fitness, play in the badmintonindoor court, outdoor basketball court and indoor table tennis courts. There are facilities for chess and carrom board, yoga,Zumba, and other recreational activities. Staff can leave their children in the crèche under the able supervisions of teacher and attendants during the working hours. Gymkhana provides space for functions and get-togethers in the community hall.