- Established in 1954 as the Department of Psychology and Human Relations in the then All India Institute of Mental Health.
- Started the advanced postgraduate psychology course in 1955, the first course in India for psychological assessments and psychotherapy.
- Established two pioneering specialty units in the 1970s, unique in the country – Behaviour Medicine Unit and Neuropsychology Unit.
- One of the oldest and largest departments in NIMHANS, currently includes approximately 60 postgraduates and 50 doctoral scholars.
- The department provides services across several clinical units and special clinics, with over 11,000 psychological assessments and 26,000 psychological intervention sessions per year.
- Research contributions include independent & collaborative research funded by national and international funding bodies, and published in peer-reviewed scientific journals in various thrust areas.