Public education, Policy & Advocacy
Public education, Policy & Advocacy NIMHANS has a long tradition of involvement in extra-mural activities, and believes in sharing knowledge and expertise and partnering / collaborating with agencies and institutions that share common concerns in promotive and curative aspects of mental health.
The nature of involvement has varied – from a one-time activity to intermittent to sustained and long-term collaboration / partnership. The following is a summary of such activities in the last 5 years (2009-2014).
Nature of activities / involvement (advocacy, policy, training and public education)
- Development of Policy, Programmes and Guidelines (at the central govt level?…)in Addiction, National Mental Health Program (NMHP), Mental Health Bill Disabilities Bill (& other Laws). Faculty in the department have been members of the National Mental Health Policy Group and Planning Commission.
- Programme implementation by partnership /collaboration
- Evaluation of different programmes
- Capacity building through orientation/sensitization workshops, staff training programs, resource persons for training programs, and TOT (?) workshops
- Consultation liaison services and other forms of support services
- As resource persons for the activities of agencies /organizations
- Public education through lectures and talks to various target groups such as students, professionals, teachers, general public etc.
- Public education through print and electronic media (popular press, books, monographs, Radio talks, phone-in programs etc)
- Publications in professional and popular press in the forms of books, pamphlets, newsletters, chapters in books, and other forms of publications
- Office bearers, committee members, etc for professional bodies
Collaborations & Networking
The Department works with a variety of organizations for service, training and research:
Central Government: Various departments under the ministry of H&FW, education, HRD, SJ & E, Law, and Labour, including Central government institutions such as ICMR, DBT, DST NIMH, IGNOU, CBSE Board, Navodaya schools, NCW, NHRC, NLSIU, SSA, Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga, National Trust under National Trust Act, RCI, etc.
State Government: A number of departments under the Ministry of Health, Education, Woman and Child Development, Law, Social Welfare, Transport (KSRTC), and Karnataka Legal Services Authority. Some examples of programmes carried out include college teachers’ training program in student counseling, life skills education for high school students, development of protocols for evaluation for children in difficult circumstances, promotion of mental health in prisons, consultation services for children in state institutions (ACHMRW), assisting child welfare committees in a consultative capacity, providing psychiatric services for the Home for Women with Mental Retardation, Government Remand Home, Central Prison and the Beggar’s Home
NGOs, professional bodies, scientific organisations
- Half-way Homes: MPA, RFS, Family fellowship
- Alcohol related: Indian Alcohol Policy Alliance, Parinaam, Divyashanthi, World vision
- Industries: MICO
- Oncology services: Bangalore Hospice Trust, Karunashraya
- Rehabilitation: ENABLE India, Samarthanam, Thirumurthi Foundation, AkshayaPatra Foundation, Hundred Hands.
- HIV related: Samraksha, Freedom Foundation
- Geriatric: Ageing Care Network, Nightingale Medical Trust
- Professional education: Medical/Dental / Nursing Colleges, Bangalore University, SVYASA, Schools and colleges in and around Bangalore and Karnataka
- Other community-based organisations: CHC, VGKK, Sangam, Public Health Foundation of India, Sangath, CBR programs run by may NGO’s.
- Other: Rotary, Lion
- Counseling services: Prasanna Counseling Centre, Samadhana, Banjara Academy, suicide prevention helpline
- Professional bodies: Local, regional and National bodies of IPS, IAP, ARDSI, IACAMH, IACP, FPAI, IMA, VHAI
- IISC,s, NCBS, JNCASR, CCMB
- UN organizations such as WHO Geneva, SEARO and India country office, UNODC, ILO, UNICEF
- NDDCB (Sri Lanka)