History and Past Heads
Services to provide occupation to patients were available from beginning of the mental hospital in Bangalore. Department of Occupational Therapy, Retraining and Rehabilitation was planned at the start of the AIIMH in 1954. Occupational therapy was given to patients in the Pavilions of the hospital till 1977 when it was shifted to Ashwini hall and was called OCTD (Occupational Therapy Department).
In 1986, both Psychiatric and Neurologic rehabilitation services were combined under Department of Psychiatric and Neurological Rehabilitation (DPNR).
Since 2010, Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services (PRS) has become is part of the Department of Psychiatry. Faculty, junior consultants and trainees from other mental health departments deliver services just like in other psychiatry units.
Past Staff and Heads
- Dr Gopinath was head of OCTD and later DPNR from 1973 to 1995.
- Dr T Murali worked from 1986 to 2008 first as faculty and later as head of department.
- Dr SK Chaturvedi worked from 1982-1986, and was Head In Charge of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services from 2010 to 2015.
- Dr Jagadisha Thirthalli took over as Head in Charge of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services from 2015.
- Past Faculty members
- Dr Jamuna Rajeswaran: Department of Clinical Psychology
- Dr Kiran Rao: Department of Clinical Psychology
- Dr Nagarajaiah: Department of Nursing
- Dr Prakashi Rajaram: Department of Psychiatric social work
- Dr Ranganathan: Department of Psychiatric social work
- Dr Reddemma: Department of Nursing
- Dr Vinutha: Department of Clinical Psychology
- Dr Geetha Desai: Department of Psychiatry
- Dr C Naveen Kumar: Department of Psychiatry
- Dr Radhakrishnan G: Department of Nursing