The Department of Nursing, with its dedicated nursing staff, offers round the clock holistic and comprehensive neuropsychiatric services. Our services are multi-dimensional, aiming at preventive, promotive, curative, and rehabilitative care, in the hospital as well as in the community. High quality care is ensured through the delivery of services according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and regular monitoring through Nursing Audit, at both the Neuro Center and Psychiatry wings of the hospital.
The Department of Nursing, with its dedicated nursing staff, offers round the clock holistic and comprehensive services to patients in psychiatry, neurology, neurosurgery, and rehabilitation wards, and at the Rural Mental Health Center.Every Ward / Critical Care Unit is manned by nursing personnel who demonstrate strong commitment, efficiency and dynamic leadership in their areas of functioning, in the following hierarchy: a) Head of the Department of Nursing b) Faculty-Incharge c) Nursing Tutor d) Ward Supervisors e) Staff Nurses.
The nursing services provided include:
- Emergency and Casualty services – Psychiatry, Neurology, Neurosurgery Units
- Outpatient services, including special clinics
- Critical care services – Head Injury Ward, Intensive Care Units (Neuro Medical, Neuro Surgical, Psychiatry), services to patients with AIDS and HIV sero positive status (infection wards)
- Inpatient services (Neuro & Psychiatry) – Neuro inpatient care involves high-quality bedside nursing care provided to patients with various neuro medical and neuro surgical conditions. In the Psychiatry wing of the hospital, apart from carrying out the instructions of the medical team with regard to medications/other physical treatments, inpatient psychiatric care involves:
- a structured activity schedule for patients from morning till night, includes a whole range of therapeutic activities such as exercise, yoga, group activities, reading, games
- health education to patients and families conducted on a regular basis on relevant topics – e.g. myths and facts about mental illness, importance of drug compliance and follow up, stress management, sleep hygiene, expressed emotions and ways to reduce relapse.
- planned weekly activities such as training in social interactions, managing finances, arts and crafts, music
- Monthly Focus Group Discussion (FGDs) for suicide prevention in Psychiatric special wards ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ blocks
- Every third Monday, ‘Sanjeevani Vedike’ – Care givers group for family members of persons with mental illness is conducted by the nurses at Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services.
- empowering patients and family members through regular programs on various aspects of health – role plays, display of posters, charts and models demonstrating various aspects of healthy living
- Assistance to special investigation and therapeutic services
- Services to the chronic mentally ill
- Patients from closed male & female psychiatric, Child Psychiatry wards are taken out on a picnic to various spots such as Cubbon Park, Lalbagh, Bannerghatta National Park, Rajarajeswari Temple, Bull Temple etc. within Bangalore
- Beautiful gardens were made and are maintained by the psychiatric patients in the closed wards, Pav. IV and Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services under nurses supervision
- As part of structured activity schedule, patients in the psychiatric wards are engaged in beautiful craft work, art work, clay lamps/pots/vase painting, embroidery, knitting, preparing greeting cards etc. which are displayed and sold during the exhibitions held as part of World Mental Health Day celebration.
- Patients’ spiritual health and well being is empowered by encouraging them to participate in the celebrations of various festivals such as Sree Rama Navami, Ganesh Chaturthi, Navarathri and Christmas.
- Specialized services – Rehabilitation, Day Care, Family Centered Care, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Center for Addiction Medicine
- Community Mental Health Services, including Center for Wellbeing in urban community, BTM Layout, Bangalore.
- Neuropsychiatric Satellite Clinics
- Management of Central Sterile Supply Unit
- Hospital Infection Control Services.
The following steps are taken to ensure that high standard quality care is provided to patients in both the Neuro Center and Psychiatry wings of the hospital:
- Providing nursing care according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and regular monitoring through Nursing Audit and outcome assessment.
- Conducting patient satisfaction surveys at regular intervals, in order to obtain feedback from patients and families regarding the quality of care received.