Vision, Mission and Objectives
- To serve as source of expertise and focus on training and promote the use of advanced quantitative techniques in Biomedical and Behavioural research.
- Training postgraduate and doctoral students of the institute in biostatistical, computational and research methods.
- Conduct doctoral programme in the field of Biostatistics to enhance man power development.
- Providing consultative services on statistical methodology to medical, biological and behavioural scientists, involved in the study of “Brain and Mind”.
- Participate in research activities using advanced computer based statistical and numerical methods for analysis and interpretation of data pertaining to the field of Mental Health and Neurosciences.
- To provide rigorous training in statistical techniques and achieve necessary expertise in collaborative research and to facilitate students to become skilled medical behavioral researchers.
- To provide a unique, readily accessible source of expertise with whom researchers from both within and outside NIMHANS can collaborate in all phases of their study design, data management, and statistical analysis of clinical, epidemiological, behavioral and laboratory research data.
- To educate the next generation of biostatisticians through innovative and relevant curriculum, hands-on experience, and exposure to the latest developments in methodological research and to develop new theoretical models and applied statistical methods that can help to address problems in both medical and behavioral sciences.
- In addition to teaching, service to the scientific and administrative agencies and to the profession as a whole, on the local, national and international levels.
The Department of Biophysics
The Department of Biophysics at NIMHANS was started in 1958 by Dr. MV Govindaswamy, the first Director of All India Institute of Mental Health. The Department is currently take part in understanding how molecular and cellular processes give rise to complex physiologic functions. Disruption of above functions is implicated in various human diseases such as neurodegeneration, cancer, diabetes, and several genetic disorders. Being at NIMHANS, our research emphasis is on understanding the etiology of neurological and neuropsychiatric disorders. The present faculties employ state-of-the-art Structural biology, Molecular biology, Optical imaging, Flow cytometry, Electrophysiology, X-ray Diffraction (XRD) and Gene therapeutics, in-vivo and in-vitro rodent model, and ES/patient derived iPSC stem cell technologies. Moreover, being a medical institute, we closely engage with clinician and get wealth of information on the diseased samples for our research.
The Department offers M.Phil and Ph.D courses in Biophysics. We prepare young scientists from diverse backgrounds for an independent research career. The research output from our Department has resulted in several International publications. Scholars of our department have been conferred with independent fellowships, and have earned placements in leading laboratories around the world.
The Department has obtained substantial funding from National funding agencies such as DST, DBT, ICMR, and CSIR.