The centre has developed and conducts various activities and programs related to three main domains such as human resource development, research and policy and planning. These cover a wide range of topics pertaining to all phases of both human- made and natural disasters from prevention to response to rehabilitation.
● Centralized training programs
● Field based training
● Onsite and online training
● Certificate and diploma programmes
● Rapid need assessment
● Detailed need assessment
● Psychosocial support services to Individuals, families and communities.
● Assessment of effectiveness of the services
● Tools development
● Resilience measurement
● Assessment of strength among individuals, families and communities
The following are some of the key activities of the centre that are being carried out to meet its objectives and reach out to a large population in need of such services.
- It conducts capacity building activities on psychosocial support for individuals, families, communities, organisations, and government departments.
- It conducts Hazard, Risk and Vulnerability (HRV) analysis of Villages, Cities, hospitals, and communities to various disasters. Based on this disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness activities are planned and implemented.
- It imparts training to mental health professionals such as Psychiatrists, Clinical psychologists, Psychiatric Social Workers and Psychiatric nurses on Psychosocial support and mental health services.
- It trains visiting fellows, community level workers, students, teachers, doctors, health workers, and volunteers who are involved in disaster management activities and programs.
- It carries out Psychosocial prevention, mitigation and preparedness activities and programs at various levels including national, state, district, community, and family.
- It creates network of mental health institutions, government and non-government agencies and local communities for a better disaster preparedness and response in a coordinated and integrated manner.
- It conducts capacity strengthening programmes for policy makers from health and related sectors through short-term sensitization programmes.
- It generates and provides data for policy makers, planners, administrators and professionals for effective implementation of programs, for designing new interventions and for resource mobilization.
- It strengthens capabilities of NGO sector and media representatives through short term programmes.
- It collaborates with related departments/agencies within and outside NIMHANS for capacity building programs, networking and research on Psychosocial support and mental health services.
- Development of tools to measure psychosocial issues and ?? incomplete