Academics / Courses Conducted
The department has been continuously engaged in various teaching programmes and academic research activities with the view of establishing excellence in the subject of Neuro imaging and interventional radiology. A National Committee consisting of pioneers in the fields of radiology emphasized the need to establish a superspeciality course in Neuroradiology. The department of Neuroimaging & Interventional Radiology, NIMHANS, was recognized as the center to start the DM Course programme in Neuroradiology. The department is running a three year post MD programme leading to DM Degree in Neuroradiology since year 2000. Three DM Neuroradiology students are admitted in each academic year. At present, there are ten Senior Residents undergoing training in all aspects of Neuroradiology.
Our department offers the following programmes:
- DM (Neuroradiology) -3 yrs Program
- PhD (Neuroradiology)-3 yrs Program
- B.Sc (Radiography) -3 yrs graduation degree offered in collaboration with St Johns Medical college and Kidwai Oncology Hospital.
Short term Training program
Short term training programme for Post gradautes in Radiology, neurology, neurosurgery and psychiatry.Every year short term training is given to more than 100 students of various medical colleges.
One year training programe in CT and MRI techniques.
Dr. Mahadevan Pillai memorial CME.Department regularly conducts workshops and training programme for the benefit of radiology students.
The department intends to provide a regular and sustained clinical service to patients with acute brain stroke, like thrombolysis, angioplasty and stenting, endovascular treatment of cerebral aneurysms, AVMs and fistulae.The department has reached a state of excellence in Neuroimaging. This has been possible with MR imaging opening up new research areas like functional and molecular imaging spectroscopy to provide a major thrust in basic and clinical brain research.
- Addition of new therapeutic services like pain management and stroke interventions.
- Increasing the number of seats in DM.
- Starting PDF programmes in diagnostic neuroradiology, functional and molecular imaging and interventional radiology.
DM IN NEURO RADIOLOGY
OBJECTIVE OF THE COURSE
The DM in Neuro Radiology is targeted to develop the candidates’ clinical acumen and skills so as to enable them to function as experts in diagnostic and therapeutic neuroradiology. The trainee would undergo training in neuroradiology including both Imaging and interventional procedures related to the brain, spine and spinal cord, head and neck and organs of special sciences in adults, children and infants. On completion of the course, the candidate should be able to deliver the highest quality of patient care, be a Competent and inspiring teacher, and be able to pursue both clinical and experimental research.
The details of the programme are as follows:
The training programme aims to impart the candidate a sound theoretical and practical knowledge in neuro and vascular imaging and interventional techniques. During this period they shall take part in all activities of the Department to develop insight of practical approach in Patient management.
The training programme includes:
- Posting with CT, MRI,Ultrasound and Doppler Imaging – Operation of machine and other imaging Modalities, interpretation of computed tomography and MRI scans for craniospinal and vascular diseases
- Posting in Catheterization Lab – For invasive diagnostic procedure like myelography, aortography, Cerebral angiography etc, Training in Interventional Procedures
- Posting in MMR – Operation of machine and setting of hybrid protocols, workup of patients, injection of radio pharmaceuticals and reporting of hybrid imaging.
The candidates will be given practical training and later independent hands on experience in the following procedures:
Diagnostic angiographic work up on DSA, Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty procedure, Peripheral Thrombolysis, Thrombolysis in Stroke patient. Embolization of peripheral vascular lesions, Water soluble myelography, Diagnostic agiography, Transarterial particulate embolisation of tumours of the head and neck, Transarterial liquid embolisation of cranio spinal vascular malformations, Percutaneous biopsy of the spine, Stereotactic procedures.
- Clinical posting – in – Neurology, Neurosurgery and other departments
- Research activities in collaboration with other Departments.
- Exposure to animal experimental lab.
- Posting in the Department of Neuroradiology in any other Institution in the Country.
- Patient Care: The candidate is provided with the necessary knowledge and skill that he may be able to: – Help the physician/surgeon in choosing the right investigation/interventional Procedure by routine interactions. Plan, modify and execute diagnostic and interventional procedures independently or with assistance if necessary. Manage the patient post-procedure. Handle neurological emergencies
- Interpret radiological examinations of body systems other than CNS as well.Emergency management of patients with head injury, spinal injury, raised intracranial tension, subarachnoid haemorrhage and strokes requiring neuroradiologic evaluations. The candidate will be required to have a thorough knowledge of such emergency procedures and be able to respond intelligently and quickly to these needs.
- Research paper & Teaching – The candidate should design and conduct clinical or experimental research under the guidance of an accredited guide. The research paper should be of high order and may be in the form of an original article or manuscript fit for publication or already published in any approved journal. The candidate will participate in all the teaching assignments of the department. This will include:
- Journal reviews, case reviews, inter-departmental conferences and the like.
- Present cases at the intra and interdepartmental conferences.
- Daily supervised film-reading sessions: Concurrently with the clinical training, the candidates shall be required, attend lectures in Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Neuropathology, Neurochemistry and Pharmacology as related to Neuroradiology.
|Sl.No.||Name||Year of Joining|
|3||Dr.Nihar Vijay Kathrani||2016|
BSc Radiography course regulations
NAME OF THE COURSE:
The Course shall be called as Bachelor of Science in Radiography (Radio-diagnosis)
The duration of the course shall be three years (full time)
Candidates for admission to the Bachelor of Science – Radiography (Radio-diagnosis / Radiography) shall have passed.
Pre-university examination conducted by Department of Pre-university education or any recognized state Board with English and Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics as optional subjects.
Job oriented Diploma course from a recognized Board with Diagnostic Radiography as vocational subject or equivalent.
Any equivalent examination recognized by the NIMHANS (Institute of National importance) Bangalore, for the above purpose with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics as principal subjects of study.
COURSE OF STUDY:
- Microbiology and Pathology
- Physics of Radiology
- Physics of Radio-Diagnosis & Equipment
- Radiographic Techniques I & II
- Radiographic Photography
- Imaging Techniques – I
- Imaging Techniques – II
|Sl. No.||Name||Year of Joining|
|FIRST YEAR B.Sc STUDENTS|
|3||Mohammed Jowhar K M||2017|
|8||Rakshitha K N||2017|
|SECOND YEAR B.Sc STUDENTS|
|1||Hilda K Jose||2016|
|5||Shajeeb Rahman. A||2016|
|6||Vinay Gowda .K||2016|
|THIRD YEAR B.Sc STUDENTS|
|4||Sreekanth K S||2017|
|5||Shambahvi D P||2017|
|8||Maya Jyothi K B||2017|
Alumni of NIMHANS
|3||Chandrashekar H S||2003|
|5||Shehanaz K Ellika||2004|
|10||Jai Jai Shivashankar||2007|
|11||Dawn Thomas K Puthumana||2007|
|16||Chandr Dev Sahu||2010|
|17||Maya D Bhat||2010|
|18||Sharath Kumar G||2011|
|20||Zarina Abdul Aziz||2012|
|24||Bhaskar M V||2014|
|27||Dr. Gorky Medhi||2015|
|29||Dr.Ullas V A||2016|
|30||Dr.Abha C Verma||2017|