- DSA scan means Digital Subtraction Angiography scan
- This type of scanning uses X- rays to obtain information from vessels in various parts of our body like Brain, Chest, Abdomen, Spine etc.
- This is a procedure which requires a catheter insertion into the vessels. A contrast (“Dye”) is always injected for the study.
- DSA scan helps in treating conditions which causes bleed or stroke. This type of treatment is performed in the interventional radiology using DSA. NIMHANS has 2 DSA machines.
- DSA scan is associated with radiation induced risks. These risks are carefully weighed by the doctor before prescribing for a CTscan.
- DSA procedure is also associated with other risks for stroke and local pain and hematoma. Your doctor will explain to you in detail all the risks and the procedure will be done only after obtaining your consent.
When DSA scan should not be done?
- If you are pregnant or if there is a chance of becoming pregnant DSA scan should be done with caution.
- If you had any history of allergic reactions there is an increased risk to contrast(“Dye”)
- If you have kidney failure then contrast is better avoided.
- Other diseases like Increased BP, Diabetes,Thyroid diseases etc also is associated with minor risks.
- Kindly inform your doctor if you have any of these conditions
What are the types of interventional procedures in DSA?
- Aneurysm Coiling: Aneurysm is a balloon like dilatation of arteries which can bleed and lead to death. This can be prevented by closing it with coils.
- AVM embolization: Abnormal communication between arteries and veins can result in stroke or bleed. This is occluded using liquid embolic agents
- Fistula occlusion: Wide connection between artery and vein can also be closed using coils, balloons or liquid embolic agents.
- Tumour embolization: Blood supply to tumors with very heavy blood flow can be reduced by injecting particles or liquid embolic agents.
- Stenting: Narrowing or occlusion of arteries or vein scan be treated by stenting
- Vertebroplasty: Bone fractures and vascular tumours can be treated by injecting bone cement
- Intervention for chronic pain: Nerve root injection and joint injections using drugs can be used to reduce pain
How do you prepare for a DSA Scan?
- Can I take food prior to scan?
All patients undergoing DSA have to be fasting form minimum six hours prior to the scan. Fasting means not taking any solid, liquid, milk, milk based food and fruits. Plain water can be taken up to one hour before the scan.
Regular medicines should be taken with sip of plain water only. Medicines for diabetes should be taken after consulting your doctor only.
- Is any blood investigation required prior to scan?
All patients will require kidney function test and other blood tests prior to scan. Your doctor will advise you to get these done
- Do I have to remove jewellery and clothes before scan?
All metallic objects like earrings, chains, pendants, nose rings, hairpins, clips, coins etc must be removed before scanning. You will have to change into a hospital dress after removing all clothing including the inner clothing.
- Can I come alone for the scan
You will be admitted and your close relative has to accompany you for the scan.
- Is there any other preparation required?
You will have to shave the lower abdomen, genital area and upper thighs before scan