Q1. What Is CT Scan
- CT scan means Computed Tomography scan
- This type of scanning usesX-rays to obtain information from various parts of our body like Brain, Chest, Abdomen, Spine etc. CTscan gives more information in comparison with the Xrays.
- Sometimes a contrast (“Dye”) will be injected to get further information.
- CT scan is very fast and entire brain scan can be done within seconds.
- CT scan is widely available and is less costlier than MRI.
- CT scan is associated with radiation induced risks. These risks are carefully weighed by the doctor before prescribing for a CT scan.
Q2. When is a CT brain required?
- Primary choice of investigation in case of emergencies like
Q3. When CT scan should not be done
- If you are pregnant or if there is a chance of becoming pregnant CT scan should be done with caution.
- If you had any history of allergic reactions there is an increased risk to contrast (“Dye”)
- If you have kidney failure then contrast is better avoided.
- Other diseases like Increased BP, Diabetes, Thyroid diseases etc also is associated with minor risks.
- Kindly inform your doctor if you have any of these conditions.
Q4: What are the other types of CT Brain
- Multi Slice CT: Faster than single slice CT. NIMHANS has 3 sixteen slice CT machines which are sixteen times faster.
- Reconstructed CT: The information obtained can be seen in 3Dimensions
- CT Angiography: Study of vessels which supply blood to the brain
- CTV enography: Study of vessels which drain blood from the brain
- CT Perfusion: Study of capillaries which supply blood to the brain
- High resolution CT: Thin section study for better visualization of small structures like ear, eyes etc
Q 5: How do you prepare for a CT Scan
- Can I take food prior to scan?
If only a Plain CT is done, then there is no need for fasting.
If contrast is required the you have to be fasting for minimum six hours prior to the scan. Fasting means not taking any solid, liquid, milk, milk based food and fruits. Plain water can be taken up to one hour before the scan.
Regular medicines should be taken with sip of plain water only. Medicines for diabetes should be taken after consulting your doctor only.
- Is any blood investigation required prior to scan?
Some patients might require kidney function test prior to scan. Your doctor will advise if necessary.
- Do I have to remove jewellery and clothes before scan?
All metallic objects like earrings, chains, pendants, nose rings, hairpins, clips, coins etc must be removed before scanning. For CT chest, Abdomen, spine etc you will have to change into a hospital dress after removing all clothing including the inner clothing.
- Can I come alone for the scan
It is advisable to bring your relative and friend when you come for scan