Infrastructure/ Equipment / Facilities
The college of nursing is spread out across three acres with a built in area of 24,000 sqft of land with following facilities
S.No Infrastructure No. of rooms 1. Principal’s Room 01 2. Principal’s Room Office 01 3. Office for ministerial staff 01 5. Faculty Rooms 10 6. Clinical Instructors 02 4. Lecture Hall 09 5. Committee Room 01 6. Auditorium 02 8. Clinical Instructor Room 02 9. Laboratories 10. Nursing Foundation Lab
11. Anatomy & Physiology Lab 12. Computer Lab 13. Paediatric Lab 14. Community Lab 15. Nutrition Lab 16. OBG Lab 17. Auditorium 01 18. Library 01 19. Multi- purpose hall 01
Infrastructure, Equipment & Facilities The NIMHANS College of nursing has excellent infrastructure which makes students learn in a conducive atmosphere. Building Spacious, well ventilated two storied building in a total built-up area of 1335 sq metres, constructed as per the norms of Indian nursing council with adequate lecture halls, laboratories, staff room etc. Few facilities have been provided through the Indian nursing council under the scheme of ‘strengthening of existing colleges of nursing’. An excellent room which is fully equipped with latest educational technology including smart board system is provided for gfatm project. The same room is used for various discussions and other programmes. Class rooms / lecture halls Adequate number (09) of spacious, well ventilated, lecture halls with comfortable seating arrangements equipped with traditional & modern teaching aids like black board, LCD projectors and Over head projector are available. Staff rooms Well equipped and ventilated rooms for principal, faculty and staff are available. Laboratory facilities Well - equipped laboratories offer best learning facilities to develop the technical skills through practical demonstrations before the students have clinical practice on patients.
- Nursing foundation lab:
Students are trained in Basic Nursing procedures & Advanced procedures. This lab consists of cots with mattresses, charts, mannequins, advanced Nursing Models, instruments & articles necessary for procedure demonstration.
- Anatomy lab:
Spacious, ventilated & well equipped with seating arrangements and charts, posters, models
- Computer lab:
This lab is well equipped of computers with internet facilities useful for students for Research activities. A provision is made to access e-journals.
- Child health nursing lab:
Students are trained in Advanced procedures and skills related to the specialty. This lab consists of cots with mattresses, charts, mannequins, advanced Nursing Models, instruments & articles necessary for procedure demonstration.
- Community health nursing lab:
Spacious, ventilated & well equipped with seating arrangements and charts, posters, models, health education plans. Health folders & records related to services provided to the adopted villages are maintained by students.
- Nutrition lab:
This lab is well equipped which facilitates students to learn to prepare various kinds of therapeutic diets.
- OBG lab:
Students are trained in Advanced procedures and skills related to the specialty. This lab consists of cot with mattress, charts, mannequins, delivery model, instruments & articles necessary for midwifery procedure demonstration.
Auditorium Spacious, well ventilated and equipped with seating arrangements, AV aids such as LCD projector, T V / Video. It is used for conducting various academic and non-academic programmes. A V Aid room It is well equipped with various kinds of audio and visual aids such as charts, posters, DVDs, VCDs, CDs & cassettes necessary for purpose of teaching, presentations, seminars, demonstrations, workshops and other group activities. Examination hall Spacious, well ventilated and equipped examination hall used for conducting term exams. Clinical facilities The clinical experience is being imparted at the NIMHANS hospital (1200 bedded neuro and psychiatry specialty) for I year and IIIrd year students respectively. The specialty clinical experience is gained at various affiliated hospitals namely Victoria hospital, Vanivilas hospital, Kidwai institute of oncology, Minto institute of Ophthalmology, Venkateshwara institute of ENT, Institute of Nephro urology & Sri Jayadeva institute of cardiology, Bangalore.
The clinical experience is being imparted at the NIMHANS hospital (1200 bedded neuro and psychiatry specialty) for I year and IIIrd year students respectively. The specialty clinical experience is gained at various affiliated hospitals namely Victoria hospital, Vanivilas hospital, Kidwai institute of oncology, Minto institute of Ophthalmology, Venkateshwara institute of ENT, Institute of Nephro urology & Sri Jayadeva institute of cardiology, Bangalore. Community facilities (urban / rural) The college has adopted urban and rural villages for community health nursing practice. The urban villages adopted are Tavarekere & Begur PHC and the rural PHC is Jigani. Central Library facilities College is attached to a spacious, well ventilated and equipped central library in the campus. The library is computerized with rich collection of latest reference books, journals, periodicals, newspapers, magazines and e-journals. There is a computer lab with internet facilities. A departmental library in the college is also available for students and staff for quick reference and usage. Hostel facilities A separate accommodation is available for boys and girls. Spacious, well ventilated and furnished hostel is available with basic amenities including safe drinking water supply, sanitation & hot water for each floor, and facilities such as reading room, recreation room, sick room, visitor’s lounge, telephone facilities are available. Hostel is safe and provides 24 hours security services.
A mess with hygienic nutritious food is provided in the campus. Students are expected to adhere to hostel rules and regulations. Ragging is strictly prohibited in the campus.
Transportation facilities The college posses’ one large and two small buses with 60 seater and 25 seater. Buses are used to transport students and staff to affiliated hospitals, field visits and community centres. Faculty The college has qualified and experienced faculty to cater to the needs of the students. They are deputed for higher studies by the institution. Co-curricular and extracurricular activities The college organizes various co-curricular and extracurricular activities under Student nurses’ association, NSS, Gymkhana. Students participate in various intercollegiate competitions, exhibitions, sports and cultural programmes. Students have won prizes in various competitions held in other institution.
NIMHANS Gymkhana provides facilities for all outdoor and indoor games. Playground is available for all outdoor games such as cricket, volley ball, basket ball, throw ball, athletics etc. indoor games available are badminton, table tennis, caroms, and chess. A well equipped gymnasium and children’s park is available.
Scholarship & others The minority category students seek scholarships provided from District Backward Classes & Minority Welfare Department. MOMA (Ministry of Minority Affairs) scholarship is received by the students regularly and more than 75 student nurses are been benefitted through this scholarship.
- Train fare concessions are provided and education tour is organized for final year students to different states for learning nursing administration in hospital and educational institutions.
Equipment / Facilities
College of NIMHANS has classrooms with adequate lighting and ventilation and two classrooms are provided with in-built LCD projectors. It has well established laboratories. The auditorium is well equipped with Plasma T.V. connection. Apart from central library, a separate library is yet to be established. The Multi-purpose hall is with 150 seats. There are adequate sanitary facilities & Drinking water facility is situated in the ground floor.
Hostel is located within the campus and can accommodate 300 students. It is located in a well-ventilated area with adequate and safe drinking water, lighting and sanitary facilities with full time security. Clean and safe food is provided in the hostel from reputed canteen suppliers.
- Units/ Divisions etc
- Interdepartmental Activities/ Collaborations
- Speciality Clinics/ Services
- Current Students
Academic Year Strength 1st year ( 2013- 2017) 76 2nd year ( 2012- 2016) 71 3rd year ( 2011-2015) 62 4th year (2010-2014) 26 Total 235
- Students Research Topics
List of group research projects conducted by IVth year BSc Nursing students from 2006 -2010 batch onwards
- A study to assess the occurrence of pre-menstrual syndrome among nursing students in a selected College of Nursing, Bangalore.
- A study to assess the attitude of adolescent boys towards alcoholism among B.Sc. students in NIMHANS, Bangalore.
- A study to evaluate the effectiveness of using video demonstration method over traditional lecture demonstration method for teaching administration of intramuscular injection among First Year B.Sc. Nursing students.
- A descriptive study to assess the level of stress among first year B.Sc. nursing students in the College of Nursing, NIMHANS.
- A study to assess the knowledge and attitude of second year and third year basic B.Sc. nursing students of the College of Nursing, NIMHANS. Regarding HIV/AIDS
- A descriptive study to assess the level of stress among first year B.Sc. Nursing students in the College of Nursing, NIMHANS
A study to assess the knowledge regarding oral Rehydration solution preparation among residents of Venkatapura, Bangalore with a view to prepare an information brochure.
- A study to assess the knowledge and attitude of selected urban population at Venkatapura, Bangalore towards eye donation with a view to develop a pamphlet.
- A descriptive study to assess the knowledge regarding selected safety measures in nursing practice of I year B.Sc. Nursing students at College of Nursing, NIMHANS, Bangalore
- A study to determine the parental attachment among the young female adults studying in a selected College of Nursing, Bangalore.
- A descriptive study to assess the knowledge of psychiatric nursing the management of patients with suicidal ideation with view to prepare an information booklet at NIMHANS, Bangalore.
- A study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on knowledge of breast self-examination among college students in a selected college, Bangalore
- A descriptive study to assess the knowledge on biomedical waste management’s among GNM students at selected school, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- A study to assess the risk of pressure ulcer among hospitalized patients in a selected hospital, Bangalore.
- A comparative study to assess the attitude of second year and fourth year B.Sc. Nursing students towards Mental Illness in selected College of Nursing, Bangalore
- A descriptive study to assess the risk for osteoporosis in nursing personnel working at NIMHANS, Bangalore.
- A study to assess the drug compliance and factors affecting drug compliance among patients living with HIV/AIDS
- A study to assess the knowledge and attitude of staff nurses regarding needle stick injury and its prevention
- A study to assess the knowledge about disaster management among BSc nursing students of college of nursing, NIMHANS
- A study to assess the perception of role transition from student nurses to staff nurse
- A study to assess the knowledge and attitude of child abuse among mothers in selected urban village in Bangalore.
- Fellowships Offered: NIL
- Workshops and Trainings
Sl. Month & Year Topic Mode of presentation Presenter 1 22.08.2009 Evidence based practice Seminar Mrs.BingiRajeshwari 2 07.10.2009 Amnio infusion Seminar Mrs.Kanitha D 3 21.11.2009 Stem cell therapy Seminar Ms.Vimal Devi P 4 19.12.2009 Image of Nursing Seminar Mr.Jayakumar B 5 29.01.2010 Pierre robin sequence Seminar Mrs.S.Sivakami 6 20.02.2010 Assessment of pain for premature & sick neonates & its care at Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Seminar Mrs.Poornima H 7 20.03.2010 Simulation in nursing education Seminar Mr.Kannan K 8 17.04.2010 Recent cardiac trends Seminar Mrs.Asha Anita D’Souza 9 21.05.2010 Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) infusions Seminar Mrs.N.Sathyavathy 10 18.06.2010 Nurses’ responsibilities in administering IVIG-G Seminar Mrs.R.Rajalakshmi 11 17.07.2010 MoyaMoya disease Seminar Mrs.Thendral S 12 21.08.2010 Integrated management of neonatal and childhood illness Seminar Mr. Rajesh N 13 18.09.2010 NRHM Seminar Mrs. Pamela John 14 23.10.2010 Bili blanket phototherapy Seminar Mrs.T.Suseela 15 19.11.2010 Drug administration through Ommaya Reservoir Seminar Mrs.P.Jayanthi / 16 27.12.2010 Fatigue management in Seminar Dr.PratibhaSwamy 17 17.01.2011 Involving “Families in Limbo” in-services for mentally ill patients Seminar Dr.K.N.Jayanthi 18 07.02.2011
Human Relations in Health Care Workshop DGHS – CON,NIMHANS 19 17.02.2011
Management Techniques Workshop DGHS – CON,NIMHANS 20 28.2.2011
Emergency Care Workshop DGHS – CON,NIMHANS 21 09.03.2011
Educational Technology Workshop DGHS – CON,NIMHANS 22 25.04.2011 Occupational hazards for pregnant nurses finding a balancing between service and safety Seminar Mrs.Jeyamari S 23 21.05.2011 PCA (Programme controlled analgesia) Seminar Mrs.N.Sathyavathy 24 18.06.2011 Deep brain stimulation Seminar Mrs.Priya Baby 25 16.07.2011 Breast feeding sleepy healthy newborn Seminar Dr.S.Valliammal 26 20.08.2011 Cord Blood Banking Seminar Mrs.S.Vijayalakshmi 27 17.09.2011 Recent Trends in the management of Diabetes mellitus Seminar Mrs.P.Jayanthi 28 15.10.2011 Fraser Syndrome Seminar Mrs.Kesiya C.Y. 29 19.11 2011 Narco analysis Seminar Mrs.Mythili D 30 01.12.2011 Neurological complications in HIV Guest Lecture Dr. Krishnamurthy G Neurologist,West Virginia, USA. 31 21.01.2012 Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS) Seminar Mrs.Shamala A 32 18.02.2012 Othello syndrome Seminar Mrs.G.Jothimani 33 29.03.2012 Strength based approach in teaching Workshop Department of Psychiatry 34 23.04.2012 Vagus Nerve Stimulation of Depression 34 23.04.2012 35 19.05.2012 Child Sexual Abuse: A silent Health Emergency 35 19.05.2012 36 29.05.2012 Cancer Awareness Guest Lecture Dr. Uma Devi,
Dept of Gynaec Oncology
Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology
37 29.09.2012 Nano Technology, the really big, small thing Panel Discussion Mrs.Priya Baby
Mrs. N. Sathyavathy
38 20.10.2012 Robotics in Health Care Workshop Mrs.A.Shamala
Mr. Rajesh N
39 29.10.2012 Stroke Guest Lecture/Poster – SNA Dr.GirishKulkarni
Associte professor, Dept. of Neurology, NIMHANS.
40 26.11.2012 Innovations in Nursing Seminar Dr.PratibhaSwamy
Ms.Vimal Devi P
41 04.12.2012 Lung Cancer Guest Lecture Cipla Oncology 42 19.01.2013 Disaster Management Seminar Dr.K.N.Jayanthi
43 04.02.2013 Sensitization Workshop on Psychosocial competence skills Workshop Dr.Srikala Bharath
Dept. of Psychiatry
44 04.02.2013 Cancer, Did you know? Guest Lecture Cipla Oncology 45 08.02.2013 Danger signs in newborn Seminar Mrs.Kanitha D
46 19.03.2013 Professional competencies & Initiatives in Geriatric Care Seminar Mrs.Asha Anita D’Souza
Mrs. Pamela John
47 26.04.2013 Role of prosthesis on Hearing Impairment Seminar Mrs.Priya Baby
Mrs. N. Sathyavathy
48 27.06.2013 Autism : Newer perspectives Seminar Mrs.Poornima
Mr. Rajesh N
49 25.07.2013 Immediate Newborn Care Workshop Dr.S.Valliammal
50 02.09.2013 Complimentary Therapies in Health Care Seminar Dr.PratibhaSwamy
Ms.Vimal Devi P
51 18.01.2014 Breast Crawl –
The Miracle Moment
Seminar Mrs.Kanitha D
- Resource Materials
- Future Plans of college of nursing
- Organize State level / National conference/workshop/seminars etc.
- Co-ordinate State & National level competitions in essay, elocution, debate etc.
- Organize State level / National sports meet.
- Intend to establish Simulation lab.
- Intend to release of college magazine.
- Past Staff and Heads : NIL
Awards and Achievements
Staff Development Programmes
Staff meeting & Journal Presentation
Lamp Lighting Ceremony
Vision, Mission and Objectives
What do we do
Current Faculty and Staff
Infrastructure/ Equipment/ Facilities