The department of neurosurgery provides state of the art care for patients suffering from surgical diseases of the nervous system. These diseases affect the brain, spinal cord, spine and peripheral nerves. The department is one of the largest in the country and caters to a diverse population of patients spread across the country. The trauma services offered by the department cater to patients from Bangalore and surrounding districts. The department offers surgical services through seven well equipped operating rooms which contain state of the art equipment required for performing microsurgical procedures. All contemporary neurosurgical procedures in any neurosurgical subspeciality can be performed in these sophisticated operating rooms. An active MCh programme trains the next generation of neurosurgeons who are selected from a highly competetive entrance exam. Trainees from other neurosurgical institutes from across the country visit the department during the course of their training.
History of the department:
Soon after the All India Institute of Mental Health (AIIMH) was established in 1954, the then director Dr. Govindaswamy, realizing the inseparability of mind and the brain and hence between behavioral and neurological sciences, started the Departments of Neurology and Neurosurgery. In 1958, Dr. Raja Martanda Varma joined the AIIMH as its first neurosurgeon and started the Department of Neurosurgery. He later went to become the director of AIIMH in 1969. His first assistant was Dr. GN Narayana Reddy. It was due to the combined efforts of these two neurosurgeons that neurosurgery escalated to new heights. They worked in extremely difficult conditions and as the saying goes "when the going gets tough, the tough get going", both struggled against all odds to develop neurosurgery.
Till 1974, the Department of Neurosurgery surged forward under the guidance of Dr. Varma and Dr. GN Narayana Reddy. In 1974 when Dr. Varma became the Director of NIMHANS, the responsibility of the department fell on the able shoulders of Dr. GN Narayana Reddy. Dr. GN Narayan Reddy became the Director of NIMHANS in 1979. The department was then headed by Dr. C Vidyasagar and later, Dr. V Hemalatha. Dr. Bhabani Shankar Das joined as Head of Department in 1981 and consolidated the early gains by his predecessors. After Dr. Das superannuated in 1996, Professor Kolluri Venkataramana Sastry took over the mantle of Head of Department till 2006. Under his guidance, the growth of the department further accelerated.
Following his voluntary retirement, Dr. BA Chandramouli, Dr. B Indira Devi, Dr. S Sampath and Dr. Malla Bhaskara Rao have been the heads of the department in the years to follow.
About the Department
Vision, Mission, Objectives
What We Do
Acedmics / Courses Conducted
Units and OPD Schedule