Nutrition is one of the basic components of life. Good nutrition is essential for the maintenance of optimum health, prevention of disease and recover of illness. Diet plays a very crucial role in the health and well being of people. A good and balanced diet improves the quality of life. It is a positive quality, emphasizing physical, social, intellectual, emotional and spiritual well being. Optimum nutrition, providing all nutrients in both kind and amount, is the cornerstone of good health and the cutting edge of prevention.
The Dietary Section is currently catering around 850 patients taking all the three meals including general diet, special diet and therapeutic diet.
The department is involved with the following.
- Planning and directing food services consists of kitchen supervision, cooking, packing and also distribution of food.
- Medical nutrition therapy to various disease conditions which also includes enteral feeding.
- Academic responsibilities – conducting Nutrition classes for B.Sc Nursing students 60 hour/ year
- Internship training programme for M.Sc and B.Sc nutrition students as a part of their curriculum.
- Administrative responsibilities include control and monitoring of ministerial staffs, hospital assistants and outsourced staff.
Senior Dietician– Mrs. Beena Mathew (M.Sc- Dietetics and Food Service Management)
Assistant Dietician– Mrs. Mahanthasiri B Sajjanar (M.Sc – Dietetics and Applied Nutrition)