For external students who wish to undergo training
The Department of CPNT accepts students from other departments and institutes:
- Training in Psychopharmacology and Neurotoxicology (lecture classes) is conducted only for students admitted to courses in NIMHANS. External students may attend whatever formal teaching classes are scheduled during their posting in the Department. No formal training program will be instituted for external trainees.
- Research training and project guidance is provided to students from other institutes:
- a) Please contact the Head of the Department at least 6-9 months in advance to establish eligibility and feasibility, to discuss practical details and, most importantly, because projects need to be approved by various regulatory committees; this takes time.
- b) Students are eligible if they have a background in medicine, pharmacology, or pharmacy (for Psychopharmacology) and biochemistry, life sciences, neuroscience (for Neurotoxicology); a knowledge of research methods; a knowledge of laboratory methods. Usually, students are accepted for training or project guidance only if they are currently in a Master’s course.
- c) Students who are considered acceptable (by the Department, in principle) would be expected to write a letter to the Director of NIMHANS seeking permission to undergo training in the Department.
- d) The Head of the Department/Institute in which such students work will, at the time of application, need to provide a letter certifying the academic merits and good character of the students who are being referred for training.