The Department of Neurological Rehabilitation in NIMHANS has the uniqueness of being the only department in the country which runs super specialty rehabilitation services in the form of Neurological Rehabilitation. Although these services have been provided since 1985, the separate departmental status was given in the year 2013, so it is one of the youngest departments in the institute. The department has a mixed staff pattern with consultants who are doctors (MBBS, MD) specialists in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, also known as Physiatrists. Paramedical staff consists of Occupational therapists (BOT, MOT), Orthoptists (Dip/ D. orthotic engineering) and Urodynamic technician.
The Department runs outpatient and inpatient services. The outpatient services for both new and review patients are functional on all working days, six days a week. Patients are referred from all parts of the country as well as overseas for neurological rehabilitation services. The average number of newly registered patients in the OPD is more than 11000 per year while the number of follow-up patients is around 2000 per year. Department has a neurological rehabilitation ward facility with 22-beds (12 male and 10 female & paediatric beds). On an average 250 patients are admitted each year with a mean hospital stay of four weeks.
The Department participates in the neuromuscular clinic in association with the Department of Neurology every 4th Saturday of the month. A team of consultants along with resident doctors and paramedical staff (occupational therapist and orthotist) take care of the rehabilitation needs of the patients with neuromuscular disorders. Annually around 600 patients are beneficiaries of these services.
We are aslo part of team of Neuropathy clinic being run by the department of Neurology on every 2nd and 4th Friday of each month.
Other facilities available in the department are as mentioned hereunder:
- Urodynamic laboratory- for research and management of patients with neurogenic bladder
- Gait Analysis laboratory
- 2-D Gait analysis Laboratory
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound for guided injections including Botulinum toxin injections
- Hand Robot
- Computer-based cognitive assessment & training
- Virtual Reality
- Orthotic Section preparing limb and trunk orthosis for patients with neurological & neurosurgical disorders
- Neurodevelopmental therapy with sensory-motor stimulation for paediatric patients with developmental disorders (with Occupational Therapy)