Since its inception in 1950’s, the department of Neuroanaesthesia has been striving to maintain high standards of clinical care, in addition to education and research, in an ever-changing clinical, social and administrative scenario.
The department carries out clinical Services, educational activities and clinical research.
Highlights of Clinical Work
- Anaesthesia and perioperative medical services are provided for elective and emergency for neurosurgery.
- The department plays an active role providing intensive care in three intensive care units (neuromedical, neurosurgical and emergency ICU’s)
- Anaesthesia and resuscitation services are provided for Neuroradiology including imaging services and interventional neuroradiology
- Anaesthetic coverage is provided for modified electroconvulsive therapy
The seven operative theatres catering to elective and emergency operation theatres are equipped with modern anaesthesia work stations and a wide range of other equipment such as multi-parameter monitors (ECG,NIBP,SPO2,IBP,Caprography, EEG, CVP, BIS, Entropy), target controlled infusion pumps for total intravenous anaesthesia (TIVA), transcranial Doppler (TCD), fibreoptic bronchoscopes, pulmonary function testing equipment, and MR-compatible anaesthetic machine/monitors. Awake fibreoptic intubation for cervical spinal lesions, and epilepsy surgery under EEG monitoring are routinely carried out. Anaesthetic procedures out side the operation theaters for ECT and neuroradiology are provided with monitoring of ECG, BP, Pulse oximetry. MR-compatible anaesthesia machines and monitors are used for anaesthesia during MR-imaging. The services have expanded over years as seen in the following table.
Intensive Care Services
About 50% of the patients in these ICU’s undergo treatment for head injury. The other include patients with neuromuscular diseases such as Guillain Barre Syndrome, Myasthenia gravis, status epilepticus etc.
1. Dr. V.J. Ramesh, Professor and HOD
2. Dr. G.S. Umamaheshwara Rao, Senior Professor
3. Dr. V Bhadrinarayan, Professor
4. Dr. K.R. Madhusudhan Reddy, Professor
5. Dr. M. Radhakrishnan, Additional Professor
6. Dr. K. Sriganesh, Additional Professor
7. Dr. Sudir, Associate Professor
8. Dr. Gopala Krishna, K.N. Associate Professor
9. Dr. Sonia Bansal, Assistant Professor
10. Dr. Rohini M. Surve, Assistant Professor
11. Dr. Dhritiman Chakrabarti, Assistant Professor
12. Dr. Suparna Bharadwaj, Assistant Professor
13. Dr. Shweta S. Naik, Assistant Professor