Mental Health Research
- Maternal Mental Health
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- Youth Mental Health
- Occupational Mental Health
- Geriatric Mental Health
- Substance use
Maternal mental health
Child and Adolescent Mental Health
1. Srinath S, Girimaji SC, Gururaj G, Seshadri S, Subbakrishna DK, Bhola P, Kumar N. Epidemiological study of child & adolescent psychiatric disorders in urban & rural areas of Bangalore, India. Indian J Med Res. 2005;122:67-79.
2. Shivashankar N, Gururaj G. Auditory behaviour profile in children with scholastic backward-ness. Indian journal of Otolaryngology and head and neck surgery. 1993; 2(2): 107 109.
3. Amudhan S, Girish N and Gururaj G. Developing a Roadmap For Integrated Child Health Services – Situational Analysis of Child Mental Health in Kolar District, Karnataka, India. In proceedings 14th World Congress on Public Health 2013, Kolkata, 12 February 2014.
4. Vasanth Kumar, Girish N, Amudhan S , Kumar R, Yadav K. Pandav CS. Did Meals Outside Home Influence Urinary Iodine Concentration? Results From Iodine Deficiency Disorder Resurvey In Kolar District, Karnataka. In proceedings 2nd International Workshop on Micronutrients and Child Health (MCHWS-2014), All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 5 November 2014.
5. Report of the Expert consultation meeting on “Developing a district roadmap for integrated child mental health services”, Department of Epidemiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, 2014.
6. Report of the Iodine Deficiency Disorder – Re-survey in Kolar District, Department of Epidemiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, 2014.
7. Report of the Challenges in convergence for delivering integrated child health services–A Repeat Situation analysis in Kolar district Karnataka, India, Department of Epidemiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, 2014.
8. Report of the Sensitisation workshop on “Mental health issues in School Children”, Kolar, Department of Epidemiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, 2014.
9. Fact sheet: Iodine Deficiency Disorder – Kolar, Department of Epidemiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, 2014.
Youth Mental Health
1. Sunitha S, Gururaj G. Health behaviours and problems among young people in India: Cause for concern and call for action. Indian journal of Medical Research, 140, August 2014, 80-103.
2. Gururaj G, Pradeep B S, GopalBeri, Anjali Chauhan, Zoya Rizvi. Adolescent and Youth Health Survey – Himachal Pradesh. Centre for Public Health, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Bangalore, 2014.
3. Report of the Stakeholders workshop on understanding issues among youth in Karnataka, Centre for Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, NIMHANS, Bangalore, 2014.
4. Report of the preliminary workshop with experts in the field of youth mental health, conducted from 5th to 7th of May 2014 at Department of Epidemiology, NIMHANS
5. Report: A final expert workshop –Yuva Spandana, conducted between 8th to 10th September 2014 at Department of Epidemiology, NIMHANS
6. Report : Symposium on Youth mental health – A Public health perspective, conducted at NIMHANS Convention centre on December 3rd 2014.
7. Yuva Parivarthakas training report- This report is a compilation of 3 trainings conducted for Yuva Parivarthakas from 10 districts of Karnataka from 27th to 31st October 2014(1st training), 4th to 9th December 2014 (2nd training) and 23rd-27th March 2015 (3rd training) at Centre for Public health, Department of Epidemiology, NIMHANS .
Occupational Mental Health
1. Sukumar GM, Kupatira K, Gururaj G. Feasibility of integrating mental health and non-communicable disease risk factor screening in periodical medical examination of employees in industries: An exploratory initiative. Indian J Occup Environ Med. 2015 Jan-Apr;19(1):19-24.
2. Report of the Assessment of occupational health systems and services among industries in Kolar with special focus for mental health care, 2014-15.
3. Report of the Symposium on Mental, Neurological, Substance use disorders and Injuries in Workplaces, Department of Epidemiology, Centre for Public Health, NIMHANS 2013.
4. Report of the Sensitization programme on ‘Non communicable diseases and mental disorders in industries’ for industrial stakeholders from Kolar district, 2015.
Geriatric mental health
Substance use epidemiology
Alcohol Use and Abuse
1. Esser M, Wadhwaniya S, Gupta S, Tetali S, Gururaj G, Stevens K A, and Hyder AA, Characteristics associated with alcohol consumption among emergency department patients presenting with Road Traffic Injuries in Hyderabad India. (In print – Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs)
2. Esser M, Gururaj G, Rao GN, Benegal V and Jernigen DH. Harms to Adults from Others’ Heavy Drinking in Five States of India (Manuscript under review)
3. Esser M, Gururaj G, Rao GN, Benegal V and Jernigen DH. Physical Abuse, Psychological Abuse, and Neglect: Evidence of Alcohol-related Harm to Children in Five States of India (Manuscript under review)
4. Esser M, Gururaj G, Rao GN, Benegal V and Jernigen DH Harm Resulting from Strangers’ Alcohol Consumption in Five States of India (Manuscript under review)
5. Girish N, Kavitha R, Gururaj G & Benegal V : Alcohol and implications for public health : Patterns of use in four communities. Indian J of Community Medicine, 2010 April – June;35 (2): 238 – 244.
6. Gururaj G. Alcohol and road traffic injuries in South Asia: Challenges for prevention. Journal of College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan.2004; 14(2): 713-718.
7. Gururaj G, Das BS, Channabasavanna SM. The effect of Alcohol on Incidence, Severity and Outcome from Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Indian Medical Association. 2004 ;102 (03): 157-63.
8. Gururaj G. Drinking and Driving: A deadly mix. Deaddiction Quarterly. 1999; 3(4): 6.
9. Gururaj G. Contributing author for WHO – SEARO monograph on Reducing Harm from Alcohol Use: Good practices, 2012.
10. Gururaj G, Girish N, Benegal V. Burden and Socio-economic impact of alcohol: The Bangalore study.New Delhi: South East Asia Regional Office, World Health Organisation; 2006.
11. Gururaj G, Girish N, Benegal V. Alcohol use and abuse in South East Asia: Gaining less or losing more, South East Asia Regional Office, World Health Organisation, New Delhi, 2006.
12. Benegal V, Nayak M, Murthy V, Chandra P, Gururaj G. Women and alcohol in India. In: Obot T and Room R (eds). Alcohol : Gender and drinking problems – Perspectives from Low and Middle Income Countries. Geneva: World Health Organization;2005; 89-124.
13. Benegal V, Gururaj G, Murthy P. Project report on a WHO multicentre Collaborative project on establishing and monitoring alcohol’s involvement in Casualties;2002
14. Benegal V and Gururaj G. Report of the “WHO Collaborative project on Alcohol and Injuries- Report” from India site. (2002). Gururaj G. Drinking and Driving: A deadly mix. Deaddiction Quarterly. 1999; 3(4): 6.
1. Gururaj G, Girish N. Tobacco use amongst children in Karnataka. Indian J Pediatr. 2007 Dec;74(12):1095-8