Peer-reviewed papers & Research monographs
Epidemiology & Psychopathology
- Chand P, Jayaram N, Murthy P. Iatrogenic tramadol addiction. Indian Journal of Medical Sciences. 2017 Mar 28;69(1):57-8.
- Chattopadhyay AC, Shukla L, Kandasamy A, Benegal V. High-dose zolpidem dependence - Psychostimulant effects? A case report and literature review. Ind Psychiatry J 2016;25:222-4.
- Desai M, Bandawar M, Kandasamy A, Benegal V. Family loading and morbidity risk of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in patients with alcohol-dependence syndrome. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:659-62.
- Esser MB, Rao GN, Gururaj G, Murthy P, Jayarajan D, Sethu L, Jernigan DH,Benegal V (2017) Harms from Alcohol Consumption by Strangers in Five Indian States and Policy Implications. Drug and Alcohol Review [In press].
Ganesh S, Kandasamy A, Sahayaraj US, Benegal V. Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in patients with substance use disorders: A study from Southern India. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:59-62
Gupta A, Murthy P, Rao S. Brief screening for cognitive impairment in addictive disorders. Indian J Psychiatry 2018;60:451-6.
Jaisoorya S, George S, Thennarasu K, Benegal V (2017) Do high school students in India gamble? A study of problem gambling and its correlates. Journal of Gambling Studies. [In press]
Jaisoorya TS, Gowda GS, Nair BS, Menon PG, Rani A, Radhakrishnan KS, Revamma M, Jeevan CR, Kishore A, Thennarasu K & Benegal V (2017): Correlates of High-Risk and Low-Risk Alcohol Use among College Students in Kerala, India, Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, DOI: 10.1080/02791072.2017.1370748
Benegal V & George S (2018) History and evolution of gambling in India. In: Gambling in India: Past, Present & Future. Eds: Sanju George & Jaisoorya TS. Peepee P ublishers and Distributors, New Delhi, 2018
Bandawar M, Narasimha VL, Chand P. Use of digital technology in addiction disorders. Indian journal of psychiatry. 2018 Feb;60(Suppl 4):S534.
Malik K, Chand PK, Marimuthu P, Suman LN. Addiction severity and comorbidity among women with alcohol use disorders: A hospital-based study from India. Asian Journal of Psychiatry. 2017;28:67-72.
Malik K, Chand PK, Marimuthu P, Suman LN. Awareness and beliefs about alcohol use among women in India. International Journal of Culture and Mental Health. 2017 Sep 16:1-10.
Malik K, Chand PK, Marimuthu P, Suman LN. Stressful and traumatic experiences among women with alcohol use disorders in India. Indian journal of psychological medicine. 2017 Sep;39(5):611.
Manimunda SP, Sugunan AP, Thennarasu K, Pandian D, Pesala KS, Benegal V. Alcohol consumption, hazardous drinking, and alcohol dependency among the population of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India. Indian J Public Health 2017;61:105-11.
Murthy P, Mishra S (2017) Tobacco use in Pregnancy-Global evidence and Relevance to LMIC. J Subst Abuse Alcohol 5(4): 1069.
Narayanan G. Self and informant reports of personality traits in a middle-aged alcohol dependent woman. Indian Journal of Health and Wellbeing, 8 (7): 762-764. 2017
Sarin A, Murthy P, Jain S. Addiction and technology: Plus ça change plus c’est la même (The more things change, the more they remain the same). Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 2017;59(2):236-239.
Shah D, Chand PK, Bandawar M, Benegal V, Murthy P. Cannabis induced psychosis and subsequent psychiatric disorders. Asian Journal of Psychiatry , 2017; Volume 30 , 180 – 184.
- Sharma M, Thomas D, Girish N, Thennarasu K, Benegal V (2018)Case report on implication of E-sport for changing platform of expression of bullying. Asian Journal of Psychiatry (In press)
- Sharma M, Thomas D, Girish N, Thennarasu K, Benegal V (2018)Problematic Shopping behavior: Prevalence and implication for screening & intervention in health care setting Asian Journal of Psychiatry; 31: 96-97.
- Sharma M, Thomas D, Girish N, Thennarasu K, Benegal V (2018)Television Addiction: implication for enhancing media literacy for healthy use of technology. Indian Journal of Social Psychiatry. [In press]
- Sharma M, Thomas D, Girish N, Thennarasu K, Benegal V(2018)Gambling in an Indian community –an emerging mental health issue for exploration. Asian Journal of Psychiatry 31:8-9
- Sharma MK, Rao GN, Benegal V, Thennarasu K, Thomas D. (2017) Technology addiction survey: An emerging concern for raising awareness and promotion of healthy use of technology. Indian J Psychol Med;39:495-9
- Shukla L, Bokka S, Shukla T, Kandasamy A, Chand P, Benegal V, Murthy P. Benzodiazepine and “Z-drug” Dependence: Data from a tertiary care center. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord.2017;19(1):16br02025.
- Shukla L, Reddy SS, Kandasamy A, Benegal V. What kills everyone, gives a high for some − Recreational Snake Envenomation.. 2017;25:106-8.
- Soundararajan S, Narayanan G, Agrawal A, Prabhakaran D, Murthy P Relation between age at first alcohol drink & adult life drinking patterns in alcohol-dependent patients. Indian J Med Research 2017; Volume : 146 (Issue 5): 606-611.
- Marissa B. Esser, Gopalkrishna Gururaj, Girish N. Rao, David H.Jernigan, Pratima Murthy, Deepak Jayarajan, Lakshmanan Sethuraman, Vivek Benegal andCollaborators Group on Epidemiological Study of Patterns and Consequences of Alcohol Misuse in India. Harms to Adults from Others’ Heavy Drinking in Five Indian States. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 2015, 1–9.
- Marissa B. Esser, Girish N. Rao, Gopalkrishna Gururaj, Pratima Murthy, Deepak Jayarajan, Lakshmanan Sethuraman,David H.Jernigan, Vivek Benegal and Collaborators Group on Epidemiological Study of Patterns and Consequences of Alcohol Misuse in India. Physical abuse, psychological abuse and neglect: Evidence of alcoholrelated harm to children in five states of India. Drug and Alcohol Review, 2016.
- Raghavendra Nayak, Pratima Murthy, Satish Girimaji, Jamuna Navaneetham (2011). Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders- Case Control Study from India. J Trop Pediatr
- Girish N, Kavita R, Gururaj G, Benegal V (2010) Alcohol Use and Implication for Public Health: Patterns of Use in Four Communities. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 35, 2: 238-43
- Kandasamy A, Chaturvedi SK, Desai G. Spirituality, distress, depression, anxiety and quality of life inpatients with advanced cancer. Indian J Cancer 2011;48:559
- Kandasamy A, Srinath D. Levofloxacininduced acute anxiety and insomnia. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2012;3:2124.
- Nathan D, Shukla L, Kandasamy A, Benegal V. Facebook Role Play Addiction A comorbidity with Multiple Compulsive Impulsive Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Behavioral Addictions (in press), Ms. No. JBADDD1500063R2
- Malik K, Benegal V, Murthy P, Chand P, Arun K , Suman L N. Clinical audit of women with substance use disorders: Findings and implications. Indian J Psychol Med 2015;37:195200
- Kandasamy A , Shetty PH. Mental health system in Bhutan. In Mental Health system in Asia by Dr Dinesh Bhugra.
- Kandasamy A, Aneelraj D, Jadhav P, Sunder P, Chand PK, Murthy P, Benegal V. Pattern & profile of substance use disorder (SUD) in physicians. Indian J Med Res 2015;142:344
- Murthy P, Manjunatha N, Subodh B N, Chand PK, Benegal V. Substance use and addiction research in India. Indian J Psychiatry 52(1), Supplement 2010
- Benegal V . (2009) Alcohol and Injuries: India. In Alcohol and Injuries: Emergency Department Studies in an International Perspective. Eds. Cheryl Cherpitel & Norman Giesbrecht, World Health Organisation, Geneva
- Jagadeesha T, Benegal V, Gangadhar BN (2009) Substance-induced psychosis: an overview. In Secondary Schizophrenia. Eds. Matcheri Keshavan & Perminder Sachdev. Cambridge University Press. London. pp.112-26
- Rao NP, Gupta A, Sreejayan K, Chand PK, Benegal V, Murthy P. Toluene associated schizophrenia-like psychosis. Indian J Psychiatry. 2009 Oct-Dec;51(4):329-30.
- Satyanarayana, VA., Chandra, PS., Vaddiparti, K, Benegal, V and Cottler, LB.(2009)'Factors influencing consent to HIV testing among wives of heavy drinkers in an urban slum in India', AIDS Care,21:5,615 621
- Benegal V & SubodhBN (2009) Alcohol related harm in India. Drug Abuse: News-n-Views
- Subodh BN, Chand PK, Murthy P,Arun K, Bala SN, Benegal V, Madhusudhanan S. A case of poppy tea dependence in an octogenarian lady. Drug Alcohol Rev 2009
- Benegal V, Muralidharan K, Rajkumar RP (2008)Does areca nut use lead to dependence? Drug Alcohol Depend.;97(1-2):114-21
- Gupta, A, Sreejayan K, Chand P, Benegal V, Murthy P (2008) Carisoprodol induced amnestic state. Indian Journal of Psychiatry, 50(1) Jan-March 2008, 72 -73.
- Nayak RB, Murthy P. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Indian Pediatrics 2008 Dec;45(12):977-83
- Benegal V, Sathyaprakash M, Nagaraja D (2008) Alcohol misuse in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Report on project commissioned by the Indian Council of Medical Research and funded by Action Aid, India
- Suresh BM, Girimaji SC, Benegal V, Tandon S, Uday Kumar GS, Hamza A, Jangam K & Nagaraja D.(2008) A comparative study of psychiatric morbidity among the displaced and the non-displaced population in Andaman and Nicobar islands after Tsunami. Prehosp Disaster Med;23(1):29-34; discussion 35
- Suresh BM, Girimaji SC, Benegal V, Tandon S, Uday Kumar GS, Hamza A, Jangam K & Nagaraja D.(2008) Psychological impact on children affected by the Tsunami in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry;10:31-37
- Manjunatha N, Saddichha S, Sinha BNP, Khess CRJ, Isaac MK. Chronology of alcohol dependence: Implications in prevention. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 2008;33(4):233-7
- SK Sampath, PK Chand, P Murthy (2007) Problem drinking among male inpatients in a Rural General Hospital. Indian Journal of Community Medicine, vol 32,No 1, 93.
- Murthy P, Taly AB, PN Jayakumar (2007). Seizures in Alcohol Dependence. German Journal of Psychiatry, Volume 10, Issue 3, 54-57
- Kulhalli V, Isaac M, Murthy P (2007) Cannabis related psychosis: Presentation and effect of abstinence. Indian J of Psychiatry, 49,4, 256-261.
- Benegal V & Sreejayn M (2007) Substance Use among Women in India. Drug Abuse: News-n-Views August September 2007
- Arrackal BS & Benegal V (2007) Prevalence of Sexual dysfunction in males with alcohol dependence. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 49(2) 109-12.
- Muralidharan K, Philip R, Sreenath, Benegal V (2007) Catatonia as a presenting feature of alcohol withdrawal: A case report. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2007;9(6):465.16.
- Prasanthi N, Nagarajaiah, Pratima Murthy (2007) Burden on women due to substance abuse. In Drug Abuse: New-n-Views, 0ctober issue, 6-8
- Muralidharan K, Benegal V (2007) Topiramate induced psychosis in an individual with alcohol dependence: A case report. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2007;9(4):317-8.
- Jagadeesha T & Benegal V (2006) Psychosis among Substance Users. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 19(3):239-245.
- Gururaj G, Girish N, Benegal V (2006) Alcohol Control Series1: Burden and Socio-Economic Impact of Alcohol - The Bangalore Study. New Delhi. World health Organisation, Regional Office for South East Asia (ISBN 92 9022 2727)
- Gururaj G, Benegal V, Girish N, Chandra V, Pandav R (2006) Alcohol Control Series 2: Public Health Problems caused by Harmful use of Alcohol - Gaining Less or Losing More? New Delhi. World health Organisation, Regional Office for South East Asia (ISBN 92 9022 273 5)
- Gururaj G, Benegal V, Murthy P , Girish N (2006) Alcohol use and public health - Indian perspective. Background paper for the World Health Organisation
- Benegal, V., Nayak, M., Murthy,P., Chandra, P., Gururaj, G. (2005) Women and alcohol in India. In Alcohol, Gender and Drinking Problems: Perspectives from Low and Middle Income Countries, Obot, I.S and Room, R., eds, pp. 89-124. World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- Gururaj G, Benegal V, Girish (2005) Project Report on Economics of Alcohol Use in India (2004-05) funded by the World Health Organisation South East Asian Regional Office.
- Chandra PS, Krishna VA, Benegal V, Ramakrishna J. (2003) High-risk sexual behaviour & sensation seeking among heavy alcohol users. Indian J Med Res. 117:88-92.
- Benegal V, Gururaj G, Murthy P (2003) Report on a WHO Collaborative Project on Unrecorded consumption of Alcohol in Karnataka, India. 1 2 3
- Benegal V, Gururaj G, Murthy P (2002) Project Report on a WHO multi centre collaborative project: on Establishing and Monitoring Alcohols Involvement in Casualties; 2000-2001.
- Gururaj G & Benegal V (2002) Report on Project on Prevention of Drunken Driving in Bangalore City. A collaborative project of NIMHANS with the Bangalore Action Task Force and Bangalore Police Force.
- Benegal V, Velayudhan A, Jain S, (2000) Social Costs of Alcoholism: A Karnataka Perspective. NIMHANS Journal, 18 (1&2) 67
- Vivek Benegal, A Shantala, Pratima Murthy, N Janakiramaiah (2000) Alcohol Use and Misuse in Karnataka : A Status Paper. Submitted to the Karnataka Task Force on Health and Social Welfare
- Vivek Benegal (2000) Alcohol Related Violence Against Women in Karnataka. Submitted to the Karnataka Task Force on Health and Social Welfare
- Vivek Benegal, Kul Bhushan, Shekhar Seshadri & Mani Karott (1999) Drug Abuse among Street Children in Bangalore. In Drug Abuse Prevention Programme for Street and Working Children . Monograph published by the Bangalore Forum for Street and Working Children.
- Biju Basil, Vivek Benegal (1998) Nicotine Dependence : An Overview. De - Addiction Quarterly, 3, 4 : 7-12
- Vivek Benegal (1998) Dimensions of Substance Abuse Problems and the Need to Network. De-Addiction Quarterly, 3, 2&3 : 3-6
Treatment & Outcome
- Holla B, Viswanath B, Karthik S, Biswal J, Jayarajan D; Bharath RD Venkatasubramanian G, Benegal V(2017) Brain fMRI Cue-Reactivity Can Predict Baclofen Response in Alcohol Use Disorders. Clinical Psychopharmacology and Neuroscience [in press]
- Baby S, Murthy P, Thennarasu K, Chand PK, Viswanath B. Comparative outcome in patients with delirium tremens receiving care in emergency services only versus those receiving comprehensive inpatient care. Indian journal of psychiatry. 2017 Jul;59(3):293.
- Arelingaiah M, Pandian RD, Sinu E. Children of persons with alcohol dependence syndrome: risks and resilience, theories and interventions. Open J Psychiatry Allied Sci. 2017:8;6-10.
- Ambekar A, Murthy P, Basu D, Rao G P, Mohan A. Challenges in the scale-up of opioid substitution treatment in India. Indian J Psychiatry 2017;59:6-9
- Menon J, Kandasamy A. Relapse prevention. Indian J Psychiatry 2018;60, Suppl S2:473-8.
- Murthy P, Subodh BN, Sinha D, Aghi M, Chaturvedi P. Smokeless tobacco (SLT) use and cessation in India: Lessons from user and health care provider perspectives. Asian Journal of Psychiatry ,Feb 2018; Volume 32 , 137 - 142
- Murthy P. Guidelines for psychosocial interventions in addictive disorders in India: An introduction and overview. Indian J Psychiatry [serial online] 2018 [cited 2018 Apr 18];60, Suppl S2:433-9. Available from: http://www.indianjpsychiatry.org/text.asp?2018/60/8/433/224692
- Nadkarni A, Endsley P, Bhatia U, Fuhr DC, Noorani A, Naik A, Murthy P, Velleman R. Community detoxification for alcohol dependence: A systematic review. Drug and Alcohol Review (May 2017), 36, 389–399
- Nadkarni A, Weobong B, Weiss HA, McCambridge J, Bhat B, Katti B, Murthy P, King M, McDaid D, Park AL, Wilson GT, Kirkwood B, Fairburn CG, Velleman R, Patel V. Counselling for Alcohol Problems (CAP), a lay counsellor-delivered brief psychological treatment for harmful drinking in men, in primary care in India: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet, 389, 10065, 14th-20th Jan, 2017, 186-195.
- Narayanan G, Naaz S. A transdiagnostic approach to interventions in addictive disorders-third wave therapies and other current interventions. Indian journal of psychiatry. 2018 Feb;60(Suppl4):S522
- Nattala P, Murthy P, Leung KS, Rentala S, Ramakrishna J. Video-enabled cue-exposure-based intervention improves post discharge drinking outcomes among alcohol-dependent men: A prospective study at a government addiction treatment setting in India. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse 25 Apr 2017:1-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332640.2017.1310641.
- Nattala P, Murthy P, Meena K S. Video-enabled cue based intervention for relapse prevention. Indian J Psychiatry [serial online] 2018 [cited 2018 Apr 18];60, Suppl S2:529-33. Available from: http://www.indianjpsychiatry.org/text.asp?2018/60/8/529/224696
- Sahu M, Nattala P, Philip M, Kandasamy A. Effectiveness of a Structured Teaching Program (STP) on Cessation of Tobacco Chewing, on Knowledge and Attitude among female hospital housekeeping personnel – a pilot study. Asian J Psychiatry 2017;29:73-76
- Shaima N, Narayanan G. A Glass Half Full Not Empty: Strength-Based Practice in Persons with Substance Use Disorders. Psychological Studies. 2018:1-6.
- Soundararajan S, Narayanan G, Agrawal A, Murthy P. Personality Profile and Short-term Treatment Outcome in Patients with Alcohol Dependence: A Study from South India. Indian J Psychol Med. 2017 Mar-Apr; 39(2): 169–175
- Abhijit Nadkarni, Helen A Weiss , Benedict Weobong , David McDaid , Daisy R Singla ALa Park , Bhargav Bhat , Basavaraj Katti , Jim McCambridge , Pratima Murthy , Michael King , G. Terence Wilson, Betty Kirkwood , Christopher G Fairburn , Richard Velleman, Vikram Patel. Sustained effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of Counselling for Alcohol Problems, a brief psychological treatment for harmful drinking in men, delivered by lay counsellors in primary care: a randomised controlled trial. PLOS Medicine, 2017
- Sridhar OTS, Murthy P, Kishore Kumar KV. Integrated Brief Tobacco and Alcohol Cessation Intervention in a Primary Health‐care Setting in Karnataka. Indian J Public Health Volume 61, Issue Supplement 1, September 2017 S 29-
- Thomas R, Pandian DPR, Murthy P. Treatment service related needs and concerns of women with substance use disorders: a qualitative study. International Journal of Culture and Mental Health. 12 June 2017. ISSN: 1754-2863. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17542863.2017.1334076.
- Vinutha Ravishankar, Suresh Vedaveni Chowdappa, Vivek Benegal, Kesavan Muralidharan (2016) The efficacy of atomoxetine in treating adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): A meta-analysis of controlled trials. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 24:53–58.
- Kandasamy A, Paliperidone as an alternative for Risperidone in a case of schizophrenia with retrograde ejaculation. The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 2012;24:1001710018.
- Ramesh P, Gandhi S, Philip M, K andasamy A. Effectiveness of HIV education module in patients with substance use disorders (PSUD). International Journal of Current Research 2015;7(01): 1201115
- Shukla L, Kandasamy A , Kesavan M, Benegal V. Baclofen in the shortterm maintenance treatment of benzodiazepine dependence. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2014;5:534.
- Kandasamy A, Jayaram N, Benegal V. Baclofen as an anticraving agent for adolescent Inhalant dependence syndrome. Drug And Alcohol Review. DOI: 10.1111/dar.12247
- Shukla L, Shukla T, Bokka S, Kandasamy A, Benegal V, Murthy P, Chand P. Correlates of baclofen effectiveness in alcohol dependence. Indian J Psychol Med 2015;37:3703
- Shivakumar V, Agarwal SM, Bose A, Kandasamy A , Rao NP, Narayanaswamy JC,Venkatasubramanian G. Safety of transcranial direct current stimulation in alcohol induced psychotic disorder with comorbid psoriasis. Indian J Psychol Med 2016;38:713
- Pratima Murthy, Vivek Benegal, LakshmiSankaran (2004) The Workplace Alcohol Prevention(WAPPA) - Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation - NIMHANS Project.
- Benegal V & Subodh BN . Principles of treatment for substance abuse. In Textbook on Treatment of Substance Use Disorders. Eds. Rajat Ray & BM Tripathi [in press]
- Benegal V, Muralidharan K, Rajkumar RP, Sreejayan M (2009) Baclofen in the treatment of Benzodiazepine dependence. [In press].
- Cottler LB, Satyanarayana VA, O'Leary CC, Vaddiparti K, Benegal V, Chandra PS.(2010) Feasibility and Effectiveness of HIV Prevention Among Wives of Heavy Drinkers in Bangalore, India. AIDS Behav. 2010 Jun 24[Epub ahead of print]
- Prasanthi Nattala, Kit Sang Leung, Nagarajaiah, Pratima Murthy. Family Member Involvement in Relapse Prevention Improves Alcohol Dependence Outcomes: A Prospective Study at an Addiction Treatment Facility in India. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. Vol 71(4), July 2010.
- Nayak MB, Korcha RA, Benegal V. Alcohol Use, Mental Health, and HIV-related Risk Behaviors among Adult Men in Karnataka. AIDS Behav. 2010 Jun 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Manjunatha N, Vidyendaran R, Rao MG, Kulkarni GB, Muralidharan K, John PJ, Amar BR, Jain S. Sub-acute vocal cord paralysis, facial palsy and paresthesias of lower limbs following surreptitious administration of Disulfiram. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, published online June 18, 2010. doi: 10.1136/jnnp.2009.190397
- Nanjayya SB, Shivappa M, Chand PK, Murthy P, Benegal V. Baclofen in Cannabis Dependence Syndrome. Biol Psychiatry. 2010 May 20. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20494335.
- Murthy P, Subodh BN. Current developments in behavioral interventions in tobacco cessation. Current Opinion 2010 Mar;23(2):151-6.
- Chand P, Subodh BN, Manjunath N,Benegal V, Murthy P. Medical Management for Substance use disorders. Published in Seminar on Management of Patients with Alcohol and Drug Dependence. (ed. By Lalitha, Ramchandra & Ramareddy). P 6-8. NIMHANS publication. 2009
- Murthy P, Chand PK, Harish MG, Thennarasu K, Prathima S, Karappuchamy, Janakiramiah N. Outcome of alcohol dependence: The role of continued care. Indian J Community Medicine 2009; 34 (2): 148-151.
- Kumar CN, Andrade C, Murthy P. A Randomized, double-blind comparison of lorazepam and chlordiazepoxide in patients with uncomplicated alcohol withdrawal. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2009 May; 70(3):467-74.
- Chand PK, Murthy P, Benegal V (2009) Pharmacotherapy of Alcohol Dependence: Evidence Based Practice. Indian Journal of Private Psychiatry (in press)
- Behere RV, Muralidharan K, Benegal V(2009)Complementary and alternative medicine in the treatment of substance use disorders a review of the evidence . Drug and Alcohol Review. 28, 292300
- Sankaran L., Muralidhar D, Benegal V (2008). Strengthening Resilience Within Families in Addiction Treatment. Indian Journal of Social Work; 69, 1:45-53
- Muralidharan K, Rajkumar RP, Mulla U, Kayak RB, Benegal V (2008) Baclofen In The Management Of Inhalant Withdrawal: A Case Series. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry;10(1):48-51.
- Gupta A & Benegal V (2007) Treatment of Nicotine Dependence. In A Nurses manual. Ed. Sandhya Gupta & Rakesh Lal . New Delhi. National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre.
- Prasanthi N, Pratima Murthy, Nagarajaiah, Reddamma K, Shanmugham V (2007) Motivational Levels and Influencing Factors in Alcohol Dependence Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine. Vol 29, No 1: 38-42.
- Hebbar S, Murthy P, Benegal V (2006) The disulfiram-ethanol reaction revisited. Implications for disulfiram dose. Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine.
- Sankaran L., Muralidhar D, Benegal V (2006) Strengthening resilience within families in addiction treatment. International Journal of Strengths Based Practice, Training & Research. 132-36. also Available at: http://www.strengthbasedstrategies.com/PAPERS/17%20Lakshmi%20Sankaran.pdf
- Benegal V (2005) Nicotine Addiction and Tobacco Cessation. Substance Use Disorders: A Physicians manual. Ed. Rakesh Lal . New Delhi. National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre.
- Chand PK & Isaac M. Management of Substance Use Disorder in Primary care In Substance Use Disorders, Manual for Physicians (ed. By Rakesh Lal) Published by AIIMS-WHO National Drug Dependence Treatment Center, AIIMS New Delhi 2005 (Chapter15 page no 1-12)
- Murthy P & Chand PK. Substance use Disorders in Women. In Substance Use Disorders, Manual for Physicians AIIMS-WHO National Drug Dependence Treatment Center, AIIMS New Delhi 2005 (Chapter 17 Page no 1-8)
- Balaji S, Benegal V, Jain Sanjeev, Chandrashekar CR (1997) A Brief Detoxification Schedule in the Treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal. NIMHANS Journal, 15, 3: 209 - 214.Benegal V (1996) Strategies for Enhancement of Motivation to Change. De - Addiction Quarterly, 1, 4:1-6
Neurobiology and Genetics of Addiction
- Holla B, Panda R, Venkatasubramanian G, Biswal B, Bharath RD, Benegal V(2017)Disrupted Resting Brain Graph Measures in Individuals at High Risk for Alcoholism. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging. Available online 14 May 2017
- Kulkarni K, Purushottam M, Sharma P, Viswanath B, Chand P, Jain S, Murthy P. Investigating The Role Of One-Carbon Metabolism Pathway In Complicated Alcohol Withdrawal States. European Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017 Jan 1;27:S469-70.
- Paul P, Dahale A, Kishore B, Chand P, Benegal V, Jain S, Murthy P, Purushottam M. Association of N-Methyl-D-Aspartate receptor 2B Subunit (GRIN2B) polymorphism with earlier age at onset of withdrawal symptoms in Indian alcohol dependent subjects. Journal of Addictive Diseases. 2017 ;36:48-52.
- Sharma P, Hegde S, Murthy P, Benegal V. Biochemical analysis of hippuric acid as a marker of solvent exposure among substance users. ejpmr, 2017,4(03), 359-363
- Shukla L, Sharma P, Ganesha S, Ghadigaonkar D, Thomas E, Kandasamy A, Murthy P, Benegal V. Value of ethyl glucuronide and ethyl sulfate in serum as biomarkers of alcohol consumption. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:481-7.
- Vishwanath B, Naren P, Narayanasamy JC, Sivakumar PT, Kandasamy A, Kesavan M, Meta UM et al. Discovery biology of neuropsychiatric syndromes (DBNS): a center for integrating clinical medicine and basic science (Manuscript No: BPSY-D-17-00554R2). BMC Psychiatry 2018 (in press)
- Holla B, Panda R, Venkatasubramanian G, Biswal B, Bharath RD, Benegal V. Disrupted resting brain graph measures in individuals at high risk for alcoholism. Psychiatry Research:Neuroimaging. 2017; 265, 54–64.
Satish R, Kandasamy A , Jayarajan D, Benegal V. Gabapentin Dependence in a patient with Opioid dependence Syndrome. The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences.2015;27(1):e64. doi: 10.1176/appi.neuropsych.13110339.
Benegal V & Prasad K (2009) Neurobiology of Alcohol Dependence. In Neurobiology of Psychiatric disorders. Edited by Ajit Avasthi & Venkatasubramanian G . Indian Psychiatric Society, New Delhi pp
- Muralidharan K, Venkatasubramanian G, Pal PK, Benegal V. (2008) Transcallosal Conduction Abnormalities in Alcohol-nave Male Offspring of Alcoholics. Addiction Medicine Addict Biol;13(3-4):373-9.
- Venkatasubramanian G, Anthony G, Reddy US, Reddy VV, Jayakumar PN, Benegal V. (2007) Corpus Callosum Abnormalities Associated with Greater Externalizing Behaviors in Subjects at High Risk for Alcohol Dependence. Psychiatry Res. 2007 Dec 15;156(3):209-15.
- Chagas Silva M, Mukundan CR, Benegal V (2007) Marfatia Award Paper: P300 Deficits in Children at High Risk for developing Alcohol Dependence. Indian J Psychiatry;49:182-8
- Kumar K, Purushottam M, Kubendran S, Gayathri P, Mukherjee O, Murthy R, Ghosh S, Chandra P, Benegal V, Brahmachari S, Jain S (2007) Serotonergic Candidate Genes and Puerperal Psychosis: An Association Study. Psychiatric Genetics 17:253260
- Benegal V, Venkatsubramanian GV, Antony G, Jaykumar P.N (2006) Differences in brain morphology between subjects at high and low risk for alcoholism. Addiction Biology 12: 122-132.
- Mukherjee O, Meera P, Ghosh S, Kubendran S, Kiran K, Manjunath KR, Subhash MN, Benegal V, Brahmachari SK, Majumder PP, Jain S.( 2006) Evidence of Linkage and Association on 18p11.2 for Psychosis. Am J Med Genet Part B.
- Benegal V, Murthy P, Girimaji SC, Mukundan CR, Paulomi N, Sharma M (2006) Alpha-Theta Biofeedback in Subjects with Early Onset, Family History Positive Alcoholism: Report on Project funded (2004-06) by the WHO Country Office and the Ministry of Health, Government of India
- George Antony, Vivek Benegal, P. N. Jayakumar(2004) Risk for Alcoholism And Developmental Defects of Specific Brain Structures: A MR Morphometric Study. Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro. 229-232 [ISBI 2004]
- Kauser J. Shaikh; Daniel Naveen; Tessi Sherrin; Ashlesh Murthy;K. Thennarasu; Anuranjan Anand; Vivek Benegal; Sanjeev 76Jain.(2001) Polymorphisms at the DRD2 locus in early-onset alcohol dependence in the Indian population. Addiction Biology. 6, 4: 337-45
- Saleem Q, Dash D, Gandhi C, Kishore A, Benegal V, Sherrin T, Mukherjee O, Jain S, Brahmachari SK. (2001) Association of CAG repeat loci on chromosome 22 with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.Mol Psychiatry. 6(6):694-700.
- Saleem Q, Sreevidya VS, Sudhir J, Savithri JV, Gowda Y, B-Rao C, Benegal V, Majumder PP, Anand A, Brahmachari SK, Jain S. (2000) Association analysis of CAG repeats at KCNN3 locus in Indian patients with Bipolar disorder and Schizophrenia. Am J Med Genet. 4; 96(6): 744-8
- Jagadeesh AN, V Radha Prabhu, Santosh K Chaturvedi, CR Mukundan, Vivek Benegal (1999) Differential EEG Response to Ethanol across Subtypes of Alcoholics. Molecular Psychiatry 4, Supplement 1, S45
- Kumara S, Benegal V, Chandrashekar CR (1997) A Family Genetic Study of Early and Late Onset Forms of Alcohol Dependence. Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 74, 6:576
- Benegal V, Jain S, Subbakrishna DK, Channabasavanna SM (1995) P300 amplitudes vary inversely with continuum of risk in first degree male relatives of alcoholics. Psychiatric Genetics, 5: 149-156.
- Kumara S, Rajkumar RP, Muralidharan K, Chandrashekar CR, Benegal V. (2008) The association between attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and early-onset alcohol dependence: A retrospective study. Indian J Psychiatry; 50:268-71.
Policy & Advocacy
- Glass JE, Andréasson S, Bradley KA, Finn SW, Williams EC, Bakshi AS, Gual A, Heather N, Sainz MT, Benegal V, Saitz R. (2017) Rethinking alcohol interventions in health care: a thematic meeting of the International Network on Brief Interventions for Alcohol & Other Drugs (INEBRIA). Addict Sci Clin Pract.10;12(1):14
- Gururaj G, Girish N, Murthy P, Benegal V . Alcohol Related Harm: Implications for Public Health and Policy in India. NIMHANS publication No.73. 2011. Coverpage
- Murthy P, Chand PK, Benegal V. Addressing Substance Use Problems: Current Status and Future Directions in Mental Health India published by Director General Health Services New Delhi, India (In Press).
- Benegal V, Chand PK, Obot IS (2009) Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorders in Low and Middle Income Countries: Neglected Disorders. PLoS Medicine.
- Thirthalli J, Chand PK. The implications of medication development in the treatment of substance use disorders in developing countries. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2009 May;22(3):274-80
- Pratima Murthy, Sadichcha S. Tobacco cessation services in India: Recent developments and the need for expansion. Indian J Cancer, 2010, Vol 47, Supplement 1
- Pratima Murthy (Ed) Women and Substance Use in India. UNODC, MSJE, UNIFEM 2008
- Benegal V, Bajpai A, Basu D, Bohra N, Chatterji S, Galgali RB, Goel DS, Isaac MK, Jhanwar V, Lenin R, Madhavan PM, Mittal AK, Mohandas E, Murali T, Murthy P, Nagpal R, Nambi S, Subramaniam CR, Parkar S, Rao P, Reddy MS, Sarin A, Sudhakar TP, Tripathi BM, Varghese M. Proposal to the Indian Psychiatric Society for adopting a specialty section on addiction medicine (alcohol and other substance abuse). Indian J Psychiatry 2007;49:277-82
- Benegal V (2007) Drug Policy in India. In International Drug Policy. Eds Peter Reuter & Isidore Obot. Washington
- Benegal V (2005) India:Alcohol and Public health (Invited Editorial). Addiction. 100: 1051-1056
- Benegal V (2005) India:Alcohol and Public health. The Globe. 2:7-12.
- Pratima Murthy & Vivek Benegal (1999) Drug Control Policy In India: Role of Harm Minimisation. De-Addiction Quarterly, 4, 4: 1-5
- Vivek Benegal (1999) Children with Substance Abuse Problems. In Curriculum on Juvenile Justice: A Manual. Published by the Ministry for Social Welfare, Government of India and the National Law School of India University
- Chand PK, Subodh BN, Manjunath N, Benegal V, Murthy P. Medical Management for substance use disorders. In Seminar on management of patients with alcohol and drug dependence, Dept of Nursing. NIMHANS 2009: 6-8.
- Benegal V, Isaac MK, Murthy P et al (2005) Eds. Manual for Tobacco Cessation. National Cancer Control Programme. Directorate General of Health Services. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India
- International Labour Organization, to develop a self-directed training module for managers on dealing with stress at the workplace, ILO Geneva, March 20-24, 2005. Technical advisor-Dr Pratima Murthy
- Chand, Prabhat; Murthy, Pratima; Gupta, Vivek; Kandasamy, Arun; Jayarajan, Deepak; Sethu, Lakshmanan; Benegal, Vivek; Varghese, Mathew; Komaromy, Miriam; Arora, Sanjeev, "Technology Enhanced Learning in Addiction Mental Health: Developing a Virtual Knowledge Network: NIMHANS ECHO," Technology for Education (T4E), 2014 IEEE Sixth International Conference on , vol., no., pp.229,232, 1821 Dec. 2014 doi: 10.1109/T4E.2014.14
- Chand P, Kandasamy A , Murthy P, (2016). Problem Internet Use(Internet Addiction). In Basu D, Dalal PK, Balhara YPS CLINICAL PRACTICE GUIDELINES ON NEWER AND EMERGING ADDICTIVE DISORDERS IN INDIA b(pp.221236),India, Indian Psychiatric Society.
- Kandasamy A , Shukla L. Other putative behavioural addiction. In Basu D, Dalal PK, Balhara YPS CLINICAL PRACTICE GUIDELINES ON NEWER AND EMERGING ADDICTIVE DISORDERS IN INDIA b(pp.239259),India, Indian Psychiatric Society.
- Benegal V, A Shantala, Murthy P, Janakiramaiah N (2001) Report on Development of a Model District Programme for Prevention of Drug and Alcohol Problems: WHO NIMHANS Project.
- Prabha Chandra, Vivek Benegal, Jayashree Ramakrishna, VAS Krishna (1998) Development and Evaluation of a Module for HIV/ AIDS Related Risk Reduction Among Patients with Alcohol Dependence. Monograph by the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore.